DIY Lamp Project

Pinterest is sparking more do it yourself projects like never before which have become increasingly popular.
So my interior design class did a diy lamp project. We had to either find or go buy a lamp and change the base or shade in some way. So I was able to go to a local Goodwill store and buy my yellow lamp for $8.00. I then went to Hobby Lobby and bought a self adhesive shade for around $15.00. I also bought a half a yard of fabric for $3.00 which was the recommend amount given to me on the shade directions. Instead of buying a whole can of spray paint I bought a craft size can at Hobby Lobby as well for $4.00. My trim was around $5.00 which gave me two yards. Overall I spent just a hair over $30.00 on my project. What I got in the end was a unique and customized piece I was looking for. The great thing about diy projects and interior design in general is being able to find, buy, or make those one of kind pieces you can appreciate that others don't have.

 Before Image
 After some light sanding. Taping off for some spray paint.
 After one coat of paint. 
 Cutting fabric on the pattern giving to me from the adhesive shade. 
Third and final coat of spray paint on the lamp. I used the entire craft can of spray paint. 
Final image of the lamp.
In the end this project only took me one day to complete. The longest process is just waiting for the spray paint to dry. I ended up taking the harp off of the lamp shade so the shade could sit upright instead of upside down. 

Our interior design club was able to get on a local talk show and briefly go over our diy lamp project and talk about some fundraising for our yearly Chicago trip.

PSL 12/6 - DIY Lamps / SCC Interior Design Open House

Comments

Popular Posts