"Globally Chic"

The article "Anything Goes" in Architectural Digest shows the New York apartment of AD international style editor Carlos Mota. I chose this article because of the unique pictures that really jumped out at me from the magazine. I love Carlos's choice of design and the mix of different styles. Everything seems to blend together beautifully and is well put together.
"I like color. I like to combine looks and periods. I don't like just any one style," Mota says. "I hate the word eclectic so maybe I should call my look globally chic."
The first thing that impressed me in these pictures from Mota's home was the 1970-1980's carpet color he chose. I also enjoyed his quote about his carpet. "Carpets are the shoes of decor," he says. "Have a good one and the whole room looks sophisticated. It's like pairing Manolus with a t-shirt."
The only things I would change in his home would be color on the walls instead of having everything mainly white.
Mota moved from Venezuela to New York in the 1980's for "something bigger and better." He chose Manhattan where he said it fit him like a glove. He later got started in the interior design field. Motas said, "I had no formal education, just a strong appetite for beautiful things." He later got started working for Perucho Valls a decorator at the firm Siskin Valls. In his small apartment he has held many well known soirees which is why he has so many extra seating options throughout the space.


An unexpected aluminum-foil elephant bust hangs above the bed.

In Mota's bedroom.

Mota's favorite room is the bath. This room is modeled after Diana Vreelands iconic all red living room, which was described as the "garden from hell."
 That phrase inspired his bathrooms fabric printed motif wall treatment.




"Anything Goes" text by Derek Blasberg photography by Roger Davies Sep. 2013 Architectural Digest 
pg. 186-191 Advance Magazine Publishers Inc, Copyright 2013. New York, NY. Volume 70.No.9


Comments

Popular Posts